Wednesday, March 27, 2013

On the Road...

So I am on the road (literally) in Washington D.C....


See, that's me pricking my finger on the Washington Monument. I am not going to lie, I was nervous about taking a trip in the middle of my 100 Day Challenge. Was I really going to be able to stay consistent? Would I want to workout even though I am on "vacation?" Before leaving I spent some time planning my time here in order to incorporate plenty of physical activity, determined to overcome my fears. 

So today, for Day 86, I rode the Metro out to Arlington National Cemetery and worked my way back into the city on foot. Here is what my Fitbit told me about today's activity so far...


This morning I got up and walked to a Starbucks to grab some coffee (much needed after a late night of partaking in the DC craft beer scene) and a bite to eat. From there I walked to the Metro station (about 1.3 miles away) and headed out to the cemetery. Once there I walked the grounds for several miles. Climbing up to the Arlington House, visiting JFK's burial site, and witnessing the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown. The sites were moving and the weather was perfect for walking (although a little windy). Once leaving the cemetery I headed back into the city across Memorial Bridge stopping at the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and MLK, FDR, and Jefferson memorials. From Jefferson I headed back towards the hotel (at this point my camera and phone were dead and I needed to recharge) to grab some lunch and relax a bit before heading out for the evening. I was out and about from about 9:00 this morning until 3:00 this afternoon and my totals were as follows, 76 flights of stairs, 10.02 miles (and I'm not done for today yet), and 20,459 steps! For Day 86 of my 100 Day Challenge I did some serious intentional walking (about six hours worth). It was FANTASTIC!

Being on the road isn't easy when it comes to staying consistent with both your fitness and food goals, but it can be done. What worked for me was thinking ahead about what I wanted to do during my travels. From there I was able to think about what kinds of workouts would fit best with my daily activities and what I needed to bring with me. I was sure to bring a variety of workout clothes, my running sneakers, and a resistance band to allow me to do some resistance band strength training in my room, and of course my Fitbit. Thankfully there is also a fitness center (however small) that allows me to fit in some cardio workouts...and I am hoping to get a run in at some point! As for the food, that is always the hardest part when you are enjoying yourself. That's why it is so important to lead a healthy lifestyle and NOT just follow some diet (and yes, that is my VERY FIRM belief). Making healthy decisions while in D.C. is no harder than when I need to make healthy decisions at home because I have developed healthy behaviors/habits. 

While searching for tips about maintaining fitness and health goals while traveling I found some good tips. Here is a list of four simple suggestions to take into consideration when traveling. Obviously I've already talked about how I brought my own equipment, but I've also been picking up healthy snacks to carry with me throughout the day, along with carrying my Nalgene around with me to support my water habit. I also looked into some simple "do anywhere" workouts that I could follow in my hotel room with if need be. Here is one that I found from Fitness Magazine (one of my favorite reads) titled The 12 Minute Quickie Workout

In closing, I leave you with this thought. It's not a matter of whether fitness and health can remain consistent while traveling...it's a question of whether you will make the effort to do so or not. For me, this isn't a challenge I am willing to let go of just to "enjoy" myself for a few days. Fitness is a part of who I am and I ENJOY it. I love the rush of adrenaline I get from a good long run, or the way my endorphins are pumping after an awesome sweat session. And yes, am I enjoying myself while I am here...there is no question there! This is who I am. When health and fitness become a lifestyle, there's no running away from it...no matter what corners of the earth you travel to! 


=

No comments:

Post a Comment